Friday, September 26, 2008

TGIF? Says who?

Whatever happened to the days of looking forward to Friday??? The thrill of leaving work or school and knowing you have 2.5 days of pure freedom. Well the thrill of having the weekend is still here for me, however, Friday's are beginning to become my least fav day. For whatever reason, my past 2-3 Friday's have been drama, drama, drama; whether it involves myself or my family or friends from work, i'm about to begin a campaign to do away with Fridays! Not really, just frustrated because from my point right now, i just have to wonder, how many more emotional blows am I going to receive? Let me elaborate a little...if you care to read....
This day started out like the past couple of Fridays, I'm feeling exhausted from the troubles of the week. By troubles, I mean frustration from a couple of chittlins from my class. My Friday's I go into feeling like I've done a bunch of correcting children all week, especially a few for the same things multiple times a day, and I'm wore out. But what's to be expected when you are working with 1 year olds to almost 3 year olds? Big developmental difference. You're expected to teach the same curriculum to all children, yet 1 year olds have no vocabulary, no sense of personal space, and no desire to work alone. You must be with those children the entire work time if you want them to accomplish anything. Then you have the 2 year olds; willing to work and do for the most part, but their fav words are "no" and "mine". To add to it, you have the responsibility of teaching them to potty in the toilet. If you have children then you know that's no easy task. So I guess in all, we have about 8 2's who are working on potty training. Then there's those couple who are a month or two short of being 3. They are so bored with the curriculum because they know how to do the work provided, so they begin to mimic the younger children or act out for attention because they see that the younger children are receiving attention for their actions whether it be possitive or negative attention. However, you can't tend to everyone at the same time so you begin to feel overwhelmed, at least I do. Did I mention that neither of the almost 3 year olds are close to being potty trained? Do you know how disgusting and extremely frustrating it is to clean a big kid's rear end after they have messed their soggy pull up and you just went to the bathroom with all the children about 10 minutes prior? AHHHHH!!!!! Someone pour me a cold one!
So I finally get the nerve to talk to our director about a particular child. I hate talking to this lady cause she constantly talks down to me, but being the person I am, I take it cause I hate conflict. (This is something I am working on) I explain to her the behavior problems of this particular child and she insists on documenting and such, then decides to tell me, in not so many words, but words I heard come out of her mouth, that my own son is not exactly doing what he should be doing either. I was but I wasn't expecting her to say something about my son's behavior, but yet at the same time I was blind-sided. I knew that if he was having problems his teachers would inform me of them. While this conversation is going on, my daughter is in the room crying because she has a headache. Her teacher had sent her down from her class to come see me about her headache and I decided to keep her in my room so she could lay down. Then before i knew it, she was throwing up in the trash can. My teacher partner was doing her best to keep the other children entertained with their snack and trying to get them cleaned and such as it was time to start getting the children ready to go home. I am actually glad she threw up because I was on the verge of tears and I just wanted to get out of there and her puking was the perfect excuse. The past two weeks I have been doubting my parenting abilities with my so called "problem child" and I have been frustrated about it any ways. So to hear my director say that I wasn't doing enough at home to correct his behavior just made me feel like a failure. That's a pretty crappy feeling. I also felt she was saying, once again in not so many words, that since I can't control my own child of course I can't control others. Once again, making me feel like a failure as a teacher.
So as I got home I was going through my son's graded papers and what did I find??? C's, D's and F's. That just added to it. Of course I had to sit and talk with my oldest about his grades and find out what is going on to distract him so much that he would come from being an A B student to these C's and D's and F's. Well, while we are talking about his grades, my "trouble maker" of a son comes in and shows me he has just broken a movie I had bought on our way home from school. I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT!!! ( I think it's time for another cold one) My daughter is still puking at this time and crying cause her head hurts, and then my phone rings. It's my husband informing me that his brother had just left a retreat before it ended. He didn't even stay a day. And to think we helped pay for that! $100 bucks thrown away. All the prep that went into him going...getting a baby-sitter so we could take him to send off...(Ginger, thanks again:)...what an ungreatful selfish thing to do. So no wonder I'm sitting here with my stomach in knots huh?
So to end this venting...i must go cause my sick daughter just threw up on the bathroom floor cause she didn't make it the toilet on time....TGIF,.,...whatever

No comments: